Exercise page 32 :
6. quay (pronounced as key)
Exercise page 33:
Exercise page : 34-35:
Page : 35
Exercise : A
1. rarely or hardly
2. risky or unsafe or dangerous
3. urgent or crucial or critical
4. traffic circle or roundabout
5. yearned or longed
6. cruel or harsh or severe
7. vivid or clear
8. subside or lessen or diminish or decrease
9. binding or compulsory or required
10. ultra-careful or conscientious or scrupulous
Page : 36
B. In each set, tick the word that is the closest antonym of the word in italics.
1. diffident: confident
2. Extempore : well-prepared
3. consent : forbid
4. amicable : unfriendly
5. ambiguity : clarity
6. subside: increase
7. transient: permanent
8. refute: accept
9. paucity : abundance
10. dormant : active
Page : 37
Identify the verb forms in the following sentences and say whether they are finite or non-finite:
1. Finite Verb
2. Finite Verb
3. Finite Verb
4. Finite Verb
5. Non-Finite Verb
Loot at the verbs in the following sentences and say whether they are transitive or intransitive:
1. Intransitive Verb
2. Intransitive Verb
4. Transitive Verb
5. Transitive Verb
Page : 38
1. Dinakar enjoys watching plays.
2. He avoided going to crowded places.
3. They finished rehearsing the play very late at night.
4. Chandni suggested seeing a movie after class.
5. We didn't see any point extending our stay.
Page : 39
Exercise : A:
1. picked up
2. get on
3. going through
4. come up with
5. carried on
6. clear out
1. You mustn't give up the guitar class because you find it difficult.
2. The tablet will keep away your increasing blood sugar.
3. The audience was bored because the programme dragged on for too long.
4. I want to brighten up the room by using colours.
5. I feel like throwing up.
6. Basheer has taken up the responsibility of getting the invitation cards printed.
Page : 64 & 65
Page : 66
Page : 68 & 69
A. Rewrite the following sentences as directed.
1. Rosamma is keying in her paper for the conference.(Change into present perfect tense)
Pattern:have /has + verb past participle
Ans: Rosamma has keyed in her paper for the conference.
2. They were working all day. (Change into simple present tense)
Pattern: stem form of verb + s (pl.)
Ans: They work all day.
3. I lived in Kolkata for ten years. (Change into present perfect progressive tense)
Pattern: have / has + been + verb + ing
Ans: I have been living in Kolkata for ten years.
4. Farukh will buy us chocolates when we visit him. (Change into future perfect tense).
Pattern: will + have + verb past participle
Ans: Farukh will have bought us chocolates when we visit him.
5. Huge boulders had rolled down the mountainside when we got there. (Change into simple past tense).
Pattern:stem verb + -ed
Ans: Huge boulders rolled down the mountainside when we go there.
6. I am playing a game of cards with my uncle. (Change into past progressive tense)
Pattern: was / were + verb + -ing
Ans: I was playing a game of cards with my uncle.
7. Jessie met you at the clinic. (Change into simple future tense)
Pattern: will + stem form of verb
Ans: Jessie will meet you at the clinic.
8. The bees have left the hive. (Change into present progressive tense)
Pattern: 'be' aux. verb + stem verb + -ing
Ans: The bees are leaving the hive.
9. Kanju broke his leg when the vacation started. (Change into past perfect tense)
Pattern: had + verb past participle
Ans: Kanju had broken his leg when the vacation started.
10. Sarabjit Singh has been practising for the tournament since October. (Change into past perfect progressive tense)
Pattern: had + been + verb + -ing
Ans: Sarabjit Singh had been practising for the tournament since October.
B. Fill in the blanks in the sentences below using the appropriate form of the verb in brackets.
1.Asif ____________ (teach) for six years at the computer institute by the time his father retires in 2009.
Ans: will have been teaching
2. My friend promised to drop in next week but I don't think he will be able to come as he ___________ (travel).
Ans: will be travelling
3. Before he ___________ (become) an engineer, he ____________ (dream) of becoming a singer.
Ans: become (verb past participle), had dreamt.
4. The sun __________ (set) by the time we __________ (leave) for home.
Ans: had set, left
5. Last night, while my friend ____________ (take) a walk in the park, he _________ (see) a snake. It _________________ (crawl) through the grass.
Ans: was taking, saw, was crawling
6. Raman _________ (live) in Chennai for 10 years.
7. Later, he _____________ (return) to Nagaland many times, and __________ (become) an expert on its culture and cuisine.
Ans: returned, become
8. My brother is a writer. He __________ (write) novels. He ______________ (write) novels since 1990 and ____________ (write) five novels so far.
Ans: writes, has been writing, has written